sexta-feira, maio 30, 2008

Snap(ciological)shot 1: rebotalhos da vida

Snap(ciological)shot 1: second day in Iceland

Finally, 1100 years after Iceland has been discovered (let’s say colonized) - some three decades before AD 900 - I arrived; and one of my first experiences was quite curious.
I came to work in a company and… some of our clients, they love strip-clubs.
So, the first time I went out in the evening was with some of our clients. We went to a nice restaurant and, then, to a strip-club immediately after.
As soon as we entered the club the mixture of sweet perfumes and the low-sensual-lights just drove me into some kind of fantasy world with Dewey (perhaps more Rousseau, in my case) and Simmel.
The air was, indeed, a mixture of sweet expensive (and not so expensive, I bet my salary) perfumes – Süskind would have a nervous breakdown here, for sure!
The lights were in some kind of low-sensual position, illuminating this retro-kitsch -pop strip-club from certain provoking angles.
The music… well, I believe it was Loki who was djing…
The retro-kitsch-pop club was full of beautiful girls in an incredible cosmopolitan mosaic. How many «Freyias» can one find here?
The girls get prettier as their smiles are so much «disproportionably bigger than the clothes they wear» – which (smiles) get even bigger as they approach the table.
Kant once said that “man is never to be used as a mere means” (I’m kidding here; well, he really said it but, that’s not the point. Don’t take me as some kind of neo-transcendental chauvinist) and so, I decided just to seat and watch.
Rousseau’s Letter to M. d’Alembert about the Theatre was quite clear regarding the modern public life with the increasingly form of passive individuals assembled in order to view a spectacle - of course the context of that time was another one: Rousseau conceived the theatre as both the disease and the cure, and he was caustic critic about politics; and the «spectators» here are not so «passive» (Dewey here). I mean, sometimes (often, I guess) they also change from «stall to the stage» - curiously, they do it only behind the curtains.
The scenic component here is huge: the girls, gosh! How they smile and dance. How they show themselves on stage. How they touch man and how they impressionably exhibit their «coquetry». They whisper secretes; they touch; they look; they flutter their eyelashes audaciously; wave and seduce and, they keep it all only on the «perhaps»; on the «maybe», as they slap man’s hands when the «mercury» starts to rise and they start to touch them. J. M. Pais called it «maybe’s sociology» in which the «negative and positive means of the coquetry, convergent in the “perhaps”, enclose the subjective pleasure of the seduction».
After the two «cubas-libres» I also felt “libre” to go and, so, I went home, remembering the music that Mark Knopfler, composed when he was writing new songs for Dire Straits’ “Love Over Gold” and, offered to Annie Mae Bullock (yes, Tina Turner) and wondering, with Habermas and Benjamin, the way, actually, that spectacle also structures public life. And, what a spectacle!
I’m anxious to «snap(ciologic)shot» Iceland’s everyday life.

1 Comments:

At quarta-feira, junho 04, 2008 10:21:00 da tarde, Anonymous Anónimo said...

Olá thomasmann! Será que me podes dar o teu mail? Se quiseres contacta-me pelo mail que está no meu blogue, ou em qualquer caixa de comentários. Obrigado!

 

Enviar um comentário

<< Home